What games are you playing while you wait for Pantheon to come out?

Cromulent

Administrator
Staff member
I've been playing The Elder Scrolls Online for the last few weeks and have to say that I am enjoying it a great deal. The story telling is what has me addicted to it as the lore is excellent (as you would expect from a series of games with the history of the Elder Scrolls). I'm not a massive fan of the combat as I'm not really a twitch gamer. I prefer strategy games and games that require you to think more than games which are all about reactions.

When I'm not playing ESO I've gone back to playing Skyrim. Even though I have nearly 100 hours played in it. I never completed the main story in it. This time around I'm determined to do just that.

One of the games I've always meant to play but never got around to is the Witcher 3. It has been recommended to me so many times that I've lost count but I've never actually sat down to give it a proper play session.

What about you? What games have you been playing?

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
I get my crafting fix from FFXIV these days. At the moment I get my exploration fix from ESO which I've just started playing recently. When not doing one of those two things, I am either talking about Pantheon, working on my writing project, or probably playing Stellaris, Rimworld, or Surviving Mars :p

Crom, if you want an intro to crafting in FFXIV while we wait for Pantheon let me know. It's not a perfect system but it's better than most - and definitely better than ESO's in my opinion. I also think that Pantheon's system is going to end up close to Vanguard's, and the closest current game to Vanguard for a crafting system that I know of is... FFXIV

Cromulent

Administrator
Staff member
I get my crafting fix from FFXIV these days. At the moment I get my exploration fix from ESO which I've just started playing recently. When not doing one of those two things, I am either talking about Pantheon, working on my writing project, or probably playing Stellaris, Rimworld, or Surviving Mars :p

Crom, if you want an intro to crafting in FFXIV while we wait for Pantheon let me know. It's not a perfect system but it's better than most - and definitely better than ESO's in my opinion. I also think that Pantheon's system is going to end up close to Vanguard's, and the closest current game to Vanguard for a crafting system that I know of is... FFXIV
That sounds cool. When I have more money next month, I'll probably get FFXIV based on what you have said. If you could share some information, I would appreciate it.

I'll watch some reviews on YouTube.

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
They have a free 1-month trial I think. They lock things behind the main storyline so you'll have to do the adventuring side of the game for a bit to enable crafting, but it's not all that terrible. If you're ok with locating a character on an NA server let me know, and I can guide you to a fairly helpful guild for learning the crafting system.

Apart from that, here's some tips to help you get started:

1) You'll want to pick up all the crafting professions, with the possible exception of chef, and work them up together. This will slow you down but make the interdependency at low levels easier to handle. Normally I'd say just rely on others, but the low-level economy of the game is starting to suffer and price gouging for low-level crafting components is becoming more common. Also, by doing this you'll be able to make your own gear upgrades as you level. It is worth making your own gear upgrades starting around level 10 because the high quality versions you can craft will be better than the quest rewards you get as you advance.
2) Likewise, you'll want to pick up all the gathering professions. One of the nice things about XIV is that there's pretty much nothing you NEED to buy from an NPC for crafting - in fact, there's only maybe a handful of items in the game that are NPC exclusives. You can also fund yourself by harvesting and selling harvested materials that are used in crafting.
3) It is possible to make money crafting in FFXIV even at low levels. The trick is first, not to compete with yourself, and limit how much of an individual item you put up for sale. Selling crafting or gathering gear is usually a safe bet as there are lots of people that just buy the gear as they level up. Second, before you make something to sell, look at the history in the market and make sure it's actually moving faster than snail-speed. You only get so many spots to sell items with, and you don't want to put something up that's going to take months to sell or that you'll just have to pull down later and destroy. Also as a note, you'll need to have progressed a bit through the story to unlock "Retainers", which give you the ability to sell items on the market. Depending on how many side quests you do, you'll hit that point of the story sometime in the early 20s on your adventuring class.

Cromulent

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, for some odd reason I've already used my free trial. No matter I'll buy it and see what it is like.

One question though do you need to buy the base game and all the expansions separately or can I buy Stormblood and get access to previous expansions as well?

Thanks for the tips. I'll see how I get on next month. Alas, I don't think I can play on the US servers though as my account is already set up for Europe.

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
Stormblood should give you access to the base game and Heavensward, I believe.
I don't think accounts are region-locked. See if it allows you to change datacenters in the client. If you can, go for the Lamia server in the Primal (NA) datacenter, and that way I can help you out more directly in-game :)

Cromulent

Administrator
Staff member
There was a deal running for the complete version of FFXIV for £15 so I grabbed that and got 30 days included so not a bad deal really.

I'll see if I can play on the US servers.