The threat of abusing groupbonus

I just want to clearly state: I'm talking about during crafting and harvesting NOT groups formed for adventuring purposes.

On several threads we suggested designing groupbonuses during crafting/harvesting.
Which is a nice suggestion and could stimulate interaction between players.
But
Teaming up for craftingsessions is nice, but easy to just stand around while 1 player crafts. Where in adventuring you'ld just put yourself on follow with some preset macro's on those boxed toons. During crafting the other toons would just be standing there and still provide that boost. Thus , it could also allow for abuse of the design through boxing. I can load my 2nd account, team up with my other crafter and get those extra boosts while crafting on my main.
I already boxed in other games during craftingsessions (with my troub and illu for recast and power regen etc.). So far I have not seen groupbonuses there, but because it's difficult to restrain it from happening, it could be purposly left out in those games. Another game however did allow me to hook up with my 2nd account and get my harvesting bonuses.
What is there to stop boxers in crafting from creating free accounts and just boost those mains?

So my question is here; What could be done to prevent this wrongfull use of the groupbonus system (if it would be in game).
Or should it be left out all together because it's just impossible to prevent abuse from occuring?
Suggestions and considerations?

Trasak

Apprentice
Staff member
Staff Writer
I personally detest multiboxing as it strikes me as violating fair play ideals. Ultimately though if multi boxing provides a benefit people will do it regardless of any ULA. There are a few ways to make multiboxing both harder and less rewarding but those ways also tend to make the game more twitch based and carpel tunnel syndrome inducing.

The things I think could alleviate some of the impact of multiboxing are as follows.
1) Leveling a crafting skill is time limited and not material limited (making great player valued items will still be material limited)
2) The benefits of team crafting is heavily effected by your assistants class and skill level so unless the same amount of time has been spent leveling both crafts you will not receive much benefit.
3) No free accounts outside of a possible Steam Free weekend a couple times a year.

More complicated methods to break multi boxing.
1) The client will not accept any direct action command to activate any skill. The only way to activate a skill is to click on a specific point on the screen.
2) In most instances the specific target to apply the action is not predictable on the screen. i.e. you cannot write a program to have a mouse click at a specific location on the screen as the spot you need to click on is not always in the same place.

I personally detest multiboxing as it strikes me as violating fair play ideals. Ultimately though if multi boxing provides a benefit people will do it regardless of any ULA. There are a few ways to make multiboxing both harder and less rewarding but those ways also tend to make the game more twitch based and carpel tunnel syndrome inducing.

The things I think could alleviate some of the impact of multiboxing are as follows.
1) Leveling a crafting skill is time limited and not material limited (making great player valued items will still be material limited)
2) The benefits of team crafting is heavily effected by your assistants class and skill level so unless the same amount of time has been spent leveling both crafts you will not receive much benefit.
3) No free accounts outside of a possible Steam Free weekend a couple times a year.

More complicated methods to break multi boxing.
1) The client will not accept any direct action command to activate any skill. The only way to activate a skill is to click on a specific point on the screen.
2) In most instances the specific target to apply the action is not predictable on the screen. i.e. you cannot write a program to have a mouse click at a specific location on the screen as the spot you need to click on is not always in the same place.
Isn't the click somewhere on the screen more twitch oriented then? Not that's a bad thing per se. It could serve it's purpose as you are suggesting yourself.

Another option would be to design groupcrafting in a way that demand for all present crafters to interact in order to finish things.
Bare with me here; EQ2 has an adventure system called Heroic Opportunity (see new thread: heroic crafting). This comes down to that if classes use specific ca's/spells after each other in a certain sequence, they will get a temporary buff after completion of that cycle.
This design could work for groupcrafting, if the design is so that crafters need to used abilities after each other to get those temporary boosts. This could increase the difficulty for boxing to occur as you need all crafters engaging at the correct time with the correct ability.

I like the Heroic Crafting that @Barin999 mentions. I'd really like to see this on items that are only craftable by multiple people. This would make sense for large items or items with many working parts that would require more than two hands at once.

As for the clicking only option, I'm not a huge fan. I see what you're trying to avoid, but personally I'm more of a keybinder player than a clicker. I think that if the crafting process is randomized in a sort so that a player wouldn't know what problem will arise and when, then it would be harder to box craft.

As for the clicking only option, I'm not a huge fan. I see what you're trying to avoid, but personally I'm more of a keybinder player than a clicker. I think that if the crafting process is randomized in a sort so that a player wouldn't know what problem will arise and when, then it would be harder to box craft.
Well, I don't know enough to say that keybinds can not be macro'd. But I would assume there could be a way around it. This could allow for boxing and possible abuse of the system.
In case, keybinds can not be macro'd and actual players need to push those buttons. It's still possible.
From what I recall from other games, one could preset macro's to possible attacks from mobs. So that be within the possibilities of countering the problems that arise during crafting.

Perhaps a solution there, would be that it's required to push at the same time. Twice as it were. For example; all crafters in the group need to push the red button (a key on the keyboard ofc) at the same time or within a very small window of time. For actual players this should be ok. For someone who's boxing, this might proof difficult if boxing with more then 2 accounts.
Now if you'ld make the consequences of failing to press the red button, large enough to impact the result of the craftsession, it could be considered. But we all know that humans aren't perfect, so it might be too harsh to put a fail condition if a player wasn't pressing the button in time, only to prevent bots from succesfully crafting.
The difficulty here is that, we're still standing near a work station, it would be silly to script in movement of players during crafting.

Come to think about it...it actually still could be.
For example: something got fire, or is about to break down and the crafters need to put it out using water from the nearby container. Or they need to relieve the pressure of a kettlepot or distillery barrel to prevent things from escalating. Or the fabric on the loom is getting thin and more fabric is required to be put in.
Well, this sounds fun, but expensive to design. I doubt the devs will go this far into crafting. It would be fun though, if such scripts are worked out. Just for groupcrafting that is.