The RL Recipe Thread (Cooking)

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, so, who likes to cook in real life? And no, I'm not just talking oven mitts stuff here, but any kind of cooking - slow cooking, stovetop, even on the grill. Lots of you, right? I bet you've got recipes to share. Let's share em!

Here's one I did for a work thing a while back that actually won a prize (I was shocked). Really good if you need to feed breakfast to a bunch of people though:

casserole.jpg

Slow-Cooked Breakfast Casserole

1 bag of shredded hash brown potatoes
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 roll of spicy (not mild) sausage (though you can substitute any kind of meat really)
1 pack of center-cut bacon
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 dozen eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Initial prep:
Step 1: Crisp the potatoes in a greased pan (very slightly - be careful not to burn them)
Step 2: Chop/dice the veggies
Step 3: Cook the bacon until it's almost crisp (not too much), then crumble it
Step 4: Brown and drain the sausage so you have sausage crumbles
Step 5: Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl

Final prep:
- Grease the slow cooker thoroughly
- Layer half the potatoes, veggies, and meets in the slow cooker. Then add a second layer of potatoes, veggies, and meats on top of them.
- Pour the egg/milk mixture over the whole thing.
- Cover and cook for ~8 hours or until the eggs are set well
- 1 hour before serving: Spread the cheese evenly over the top of the dish so that it melts over everything else

Trasak

Apprentice
Staff member
Staff Writer
I will share my summer "Sangria" mix.

You need a 2-3 gallon container, glass is preferred as anything else will stain.

Ingredients:
4 L jug of Rose Wine
Half Gallon of Lemon-aid, I used Newman's Own because corn syrup and me don't mix
500 ml Tripple Sec
250 ml Burbon
2 oranges
4 lemons
4 limes
2 cinnamon sticks

Process.
A minimum of 24 hours before I want to serve the sangria I combine all the ingredients.
I like to spiral cut the citrus so that you can pull them apart into semi spherical offsets of each other. They look pretty and are easy to pull out of the container after.
If you haven't guessed throw in the cinnamon sticks too.

Day of I will then go back and cut up another of each of the fruit into small bits and mix them in a bowl of ice for people to fill their glass with before the sangria. One time I just chilled the sangria and put twice as much Tripple Sec and four times as much bourbon and everyone nearly got alcohol poisoning in the sun so remember to cut it.