Specializations

Barin999

Journeyman
Perhaps the jeweler is that one where the perception skill is used in. So that this crafter can use his perception skill to find other particles of stone/gems used in items. And again unlocks/discovers/experiments recipes for himself or for the one who handed over the item?

Stonemason is pretty cool on its own.
I did find this online. I liked the idea of going into more expert lines of masonry. What do you guys think if that?
https://www.sokanu.com/careers/stonemason/

Chimerical

Novice
I think perception would be ideal as a jeweler. Looking for just the right spot to split that rough diamond for making the perfect facet. Same for sculptors. The piece is already in the marble, it's just waiting to be perceived, so the remaining bits can be removed to reveal your masterpiece. There are many possibilities with perception and crafting. Hope Ceythos is up for it!

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
I feel like lately I only post to disagree - sorry about that.

I think that because perception is a new and shiny and frankly cool idea, we have a tendency to want to hook it up to every other game system there is. But I think that would be a mistake.

At its heart, perception is about getting people to pay more attention to the world - to discover things organically. That makes a lot of sense when you're talking about things like how players discover and solve quests, as an example. But attaching it to crafting would be a mistake for several reasons.

First, the devs have long said they don't want people to feel required to go pick up and use perception, at least in their current design. Should it be something cool that people want to do? Sure. Should it be something people feel like they MUST do in order to participate in other parts of the game? Absolutely not. So making it influence the outcome of crafting is an area where you turn participating in the Perception system into a requirement - rather than an optional form of gameplay.

Second, as I've discussed elsewhere, I feel that anything that gives an established crafter the ability to make the same item as a novice question, but better, is a very bad thing for the health of the crafting sphere over time. What we know about the Perception system currently is that there are skills that govern it, and those skills are trained and increased over time. What this means is that if Perception is used to get a better result during crafting, players who have spent time increasing their perception skills now have an advantage over players who have not.

Third and finally, while I support the idea of complications or opportunities in the crafting process, Perception simply doesn't feel like the right system to govern those. Again, Perception is supposed to be about the world and exploring it. Not about becoming more effective at individual tasks. For the same reason, I wouldn't support something like high Perception giving you a bonus to critical hits on mobs. There should be lore skills that govern that instead. In the case of crafting actions and their results, those complications and opportunities should be governed by skills that are improved via crafting.

This doesn't mean that I don't support Perception interacting with the Crafting sphere in other ways. Perception could help players find additional harvesting or scavenging nodes, as an example. It could lead to rare recipes which can be traded and learned by crafters. The key, I think, to avoiding problems is to keep Perception as a separate activity, almost an "Exploration" sphere of the game, instead of attaching it to every other type of gameplay. The spheres should interact in the results that are obtained from them, not in the actual gameplay used within them.

Barin999

Journeyman
I feel like lately I only post to disagree - sorry about that.
Don't worry about it, I'm all for a decent discussion especially in the context of theorycrafting.
You make a valid point, after all this was a mere suggestion to make a distinction between two subclasses and to make them unique but have their pro's and con's. So that even at this level, decisions would have their consequences.

Perhaps it's interesting if the harvesting skill; mining could provide some benefits for jewelcrafting. Instead of directly in the jewelcraft-class itself. This way the 'perception skill' has it's beneficial effect for a broader public of players.

I do still like these subclasses or subtechniques for stonemasons:
  • A quarryman works in a quarry splitting sheets of rock down the vein of the rock in order to extract rough chunks of stone
  • A sawyer mason is someone who takes these rough chunks of stone, and shapes them to meet the required shape and size using saws that are diamond-tipped
  • A banker mason takes these stones into their workshop and further hones the stones into the shape and size required by the building designs. A banker mason’s goal is to make sure that the shaped stone is oriented in the building in as natural a position as it was oriented in the ground.
  • A carver mason uses their artistic ability to create patterns and designs in or from the stone like animals, figures, or other types of designs
  • A fixer mason specializes in fixing stone permanently onto building structures using various forms of epoxy resins and/or cement. This is a highly dangerous and skilled position requiring precise tolerances and work at high altitudes, all while manipulating very heavy pieces of stone using tackle lift systems.
  • A memorial mason carves gravestones, statues and memorials
Jewelcrafting could have their own techniques derived from manipulating different kind of gems and stones.