Cromulent

Scribes

Cromulent

Administrator
Staff member
Cromulent submitted a new resource:

Scribes - Some small thoughts on what a scribe might be able to do

One of the new crafting classes that has been announced is the scribe. I must admit to being really interested in what this might mean for the game. In the real world, a scribe is often found copying documents or writing contracts.

Imagine if as a crafter, you could take an ancient document found out in the middle of nowhere and then somehow managed to find out about its magical properties and then made a copy that other people could use to learn about that magic? That would be a pretty...
Read more about this resource...

Barin999

Journeyman
I'm completely on board with the suggestions on how to keep scribes useful.
As I said on other threads before.
Don't forget.. parchements.. For example the bible wasn't written by one piece. It was a collection of papers and books. So for a recipe ingame that could mean, you'll need many parchements to complete a transcription.
This could be loosely translated as; stages of research or development. Let's say the full recipe requires 4 pieces of parchement (I'm not going into detail what's required to create/transform the Original piece of paper but you can make some requirements in that as well) and the adventurer hands over the 1st piece to a scribe. The scribe has everything to start the paper, and so he does.
After he's done he can either have that 1st piece for himself and the adventurer has to bring him others to complete it. Or the scribe can give the first piece back to the adventurer and he can hold on to it untill he finds a second piece. (this gives the option to go to a second scribe in case the first one isn't around at the time the adventurer wants to add that second piece to his parchement). Makes sense?
Ones completed the adventurer can have a usuable recipe for sale, scribe it himself or go to a trusted craftsmen able to use that recipe and make him the item the recipe's for.
Different options here, but all workable. Some more selfish then others.

Perhaps a scribe can specialize into a linguïst? Similar to the thread about a blacksmith becoming specialized in making swords? The scribe will need to venture out in to the world or raise faction to get access to languages. (although i'm not fond of losing the racial Lore of the game due to everything become universal use).
I like the idea about scribes being required in order for crafters to accept and fill in order throughout the world. It could be a nice consumable item for scribes that can continue in new contents afterwards as well. It could in fact work with orders/billboard head hunting quests for adventurers. (If I read Jon Doe has a price on his head, I might need a paper to copy these details, so when I kill Jon Doe, I can go to a certain npc with that paper to let the paper be signed off and collect my bounty. It doesn't have to be a killquest, it could just be talk or trade or get info 'on writing' and hand it in.)

Another approach. Scribes can be linked with the perception skill.
An adventurer finds a chestplate. He hands it over to the scribe. The scribe takes his time to look at (read uses some sort of scribing skills) and writes down his findings on a paper. This paper gets handed back to the adventurer together with the unchanged chestplate. Now the adventurer after reading about the findings of the scribe can use his perception skills on the chestplate to see if he can sniff something out himself.
This could work similarly for crafters, gathers as well.
What do you say?

Trasak

Journeyman
Staff member
Staff Writer
In a more D&D mindset maybe scribes could also make spell scrolls. One time use consumables with a chance to fail on a timer.

Barin999

Journeyman
In a more D&D mindset maybe scribes could also make spell scrolls. One time use consumables with a chance to fail on a timer.
It goes without saying they can make spells. That would their most common trade (linked to the degree of trade) artisan, scholars can't make spells but they can make paper. After a while the scholar becomes a scribe and he can start making spell scrolls. And other temporary buffs spells.
I didn't mention it, because I thought it was a given.