Recipes; the more the merrier?

Barin999

Journeyman
There are various ways games have handled this part of crafting content.

1) 1 recipe allows the crafter to craft solely 1 new craftable item
2) 1 recipe allows the crafter a mold/template to open up crafting various similar items
3) 1 "recipe" grants the crafter a bundle of recipes
3 a) The recipes are of different nature; different related tradeschools or skills are required to craft all recipes
3 b) The recipes are of different nature; different NONE related trades or skills are required to craft all recipes (this is excluded or available depending on the option to have more than 1 craftclass/character) (this concept is another debatable thing)
3 c) The recipes are of different nature: they are of the same class but of various levels within the crafters range
3 d) The recipes are of the same nature: they allow the crafter to produce 1 particular item but with different alterations
3 e) The recipes are of the same nature: some however are too advanced to be usefull for the crafter and requires more progression. The crafter however has something to look forward to.
4) 1 recipe allows the crafter to craft subcomponents and a final product (an all in one concept as it were)
5) Recipes are unlocked at each level
6) Recipes are unlocked at certain level tresholds (at every 5th or 10th level)
7) Recipes are unlocked after certain requirements are met (faction, quest, progression by different means then mere craftingaccumulations)
8) ...

Last edited:

Barin999

Journeyman
Personally, I dislike the bundle concept as it really makes the crafting world that much smaller and faster consumed.
I don't see a reason why there is a need for such design, other than to speed things up and to generalize crafting.

What I like in games are recipes that open up 1 item to be crafted, be that subcomponent or final product.
There is a lot of variety you can design into where and how those recipes should be spread out in the world or amongst npc's. And what a player needs to do in order to get them.
Recipes of subcomponents might be more easely found, but on the other hand, there is no reason why it can't be challenging.
Recipes of final products should be a 1-1 ratio.
We've talked about templates and molds, how those could function and hold value in the game. I'm not questioning those concepts, I'm aiming this discussion towards how 1 template results in 1 item or 1 mold into 1 specific item.
Alterations via templates or molds might be possible by simple shifting to different subcomponents and how they have that 1-1 ratio.

I prefer to see recipes linked to skills. And this would mean that I rather not see recipes being unlocked at fixed intervals. To me it really feels more organic if I get my hands on a new recipe and I have the skill to match it.
A consistent 1-1 ratio can put a lot of value, weight into recipes but also in the value of going adventuring as a crafter.
I get that we all experience more joy when we get more out of 1 investment. For sake of the longevity of crafters'progression and the enjoyment of it, it could still hold value to move away from that.
You'll be more proud of your accomplishments when you obtain that 1 recipe and are able to craft that 1 item. The recipes and linked to that, the crafted items could be more meaningful/impactful to the player.

This "way of spreading recipes/items on the progression bar" could be the continous little drip of joy that keeps players crafting. Obtaining new recipes should not be quick, fast highway, as that would devalue the entire design.
It allows the player to think about what they are going to craft and why. If you get a stack of recipes at lvl X, you might just craft them all ones for sake of completion or just because it levels you up to the next treshold. And this really is a shame and should be prevented. A shallow, vague and secondary craftingdesign could devastate the meaning of crafting in the world of Pantheon.
Also, because you spread recipes, it allows players to really become unique and diversify into based on their playstyle and preference. If magic themed recipes are found in magical places and you're that player who loves venturing out there, your scribed recipe list will depict that. If you're more into cities and villages perhaps you'll find more recipes relating to subcomponents, etc. (I will not go in to 1 tradeclass/player.) Purely based on available skills and skillprogression alone, you can diversify and benefit from this 1-1 ratio recipe spread. A final example; you're a smith who's into lances. You've become acquainted with npc's or content that offer lance recipes. Since it's your aim to be the best at it, you'll continue to explore this content even more. If you'd design a ratio of 1 to X+1 ratio, you will not experience this the same way.

I like the idea of having a subdivision of a end result-recipe and subcomponent recipe relating to this end product. Again it allows the devs to put more depth into why there is such a variety and how/where they want to see it implemented. It could be regionbased, racialbased, content or story based etc. This goes beyond where recipes in general can be found, again this is with a 1-1 ratio in mind and the effects of this ratio to the implementation of this.

I believe you can really go deep with this ratio. This doesn't per se lead to an abundance of the same items that differ slightly (I forgot the terminology) (although another discussion is to question if that is a bad thing). There could be the same recipes found in various parts of the world. Lore or other can explain why this is possible.

Last edited:

Trasak

Journeyman
Staff member
Staff Writer
One-input One-output recipes are a trap to mudflation or disuse. Any time you have a recipe that only has one outcome you need to evaluate the value of that outcome to the raw materials. If said outcome is not one of the BIS or near BIS items then its player value trends towards zero/vendor sale price. You end up with a small handful of valuable recipes per crafting sphere and a mountain of worthless recipes. Each expansion where they add new content they will feel compelled to add more BIS recipes making previous ones worthless. And let's be honest there really are not that many items actually in use on characters, at least without forced item decay.

Its much better to make rare sub-component recipes that are valuable in different portions of horizontal progression. When players begin engaging in new content then they will return to their trusty craftsmen to help them make the new gear tuned to the new content without the power creep of new one off recipes. Getting those new sub-components can be very challenging and worth while but making each individual end product a unique recipe is a massive mistake.