Portable shops

Barin999

Journeyman
For the life of me, I can't find my previous thread suggesting the idea of allowing crafters to set up a shop themselves.
Trasak might be able to fish it up, since he replied to it at some point.
If the Administrators want, they can put the two in one common thread.

Short version: A crafter is able to set up a temporary shop, where players can view the shop being constructed during a timespan. And the style/look differs depending on the class that crafter is. The crafter can sell their goods when they are present at their shop and players can browse the goods, buying directly from the shop itself or from the crafter standing next to it.

What I wanted to add to that specific idea was the suggestion where there is a standard lay out of a shop. And it has a lot of options to be filled in, by the crafter. This can be done when the crafter completes certain quests or mainstream carrier events.

Look at the salesmenstand as a displaycase. It's a standard shop, but it has a lot of options. Those options can only be filled in as the crafter covers that content. So each time they've completed an end goal, they might be able to display into their shop at a fix location. (the available options have a fixed locations on the display.)

The fix location is necessary from a design point of view. So, every player is, over time, able to distinguish which crafter has done what, if they compare one shop with the other. This is viewable by all players, so that could again give it a persistent feel. As each time the crafter sets up his shop, they're displaying their history as a crafter.

These on the road shops might be something for the real entrepeneurs who venture towards the entrance of a dungeon/keep/cave, where a lot of groups go to. He might set up his shop there on the side of the road. And sell or even buy stuff from dungeoneers going in or returning from their adventure.

If not on the road, it could still be a thing for in the city or town that crafter has settled in. (but that's already discussed in another topic)

options on the shop: banner appearance (perhaps linked to their main profession or crafting institution where they have the highest standing?), colour of the banners, different amount of items, different prestige items or CRAFTING trophies, perhaps even a kind of storage facility which they can lend?, structure size, material choice, fluff: floating, glimmering, musical things, racial appearance shops, faction appearance shops, multiple crafters shops? (actual multiple players selling at that shop?), flowerarrangements, plaque with their actual name or depiction of main profession, display of their crafting toolkit..

What are your thoughts?
And Trasak, if you'ld be able to find my earlier post, that would be great.

Chimerical

Novice
I always worry when crafting is allowed away from crafting areas. I've seen many a crafting area become a dead zone because crafters obtain the ability to craft elsewhere, and go for convenience. Formerly thriving crafting areas become deserted. I', for that reason against crafting from future housing. I've done it. Very nice to craft from the comfort of your home, but it tends to kill crafting areas. I make exceptions for guild halls as they tend to be gathering places with local populations themselves.

Now if this mindset is taken into account, and maybe certain activities must be performed in crafting areas, for instance smelters are so large no one can do it outside a crafting area, then perhaps a balance can be maintained. The devil is in the details in this case.

Now I love the idea of a traveling merchant. Horse pulling a cart. Setting up shop outside a dungeon supplying adventurers. Maybe buying their treasures on the spot. This should be almost a skill set in itself. Pull your cart yourself, before you obtain an animal. Bigger cart at later levels. Maybe your own shop in town one day... beautiful

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
I'm too lazy to go find your other thread and try to merge it, but I support this idea in concept :) The more we can get crafters and traders (not necessarily the same people) out and traveling, the better.

Barin999

Journeyman
I always worry when crafting is allowed away from crafting areas. I've seen many a crafting area become a dead zone because crafters obtain the ability to craft elsewhere, and go for convenience. Formerly thriving crafting areas become deserted.
I share your concern on this. The shops themselves would be selling only.
The idea of adding more dept to that store by allowing that player to 'decorate' their shop based on their achievements, still would not mean they can craft in that shop.

The idea of combing that with a cart would be interesting. Time to travel could be something to think about though. At least one could say it has potential for expansions. Especially if one would combine it with your featured husbandry skill.
The construction of carts that can hold shops would be another great addition to woodworker's recipes.

The current idea of setting up shops could be consumable items. Consuming the item would provide the player with the shop being set up. The item itself could be a result of multicrafting class efforts and should be a considerable time/coin investement for the player. So you don't end up with everyone putting up shops all over the place. It should have it's consequences and downsides.

For example: setting up shop, will automatically put your sales in auction houses/regional markets on hold and inaccessable for other players. Untill the portable shop is taken down.
It could require a fair amount of resources while you're using that shop.
One might be unable to craft as long as you have that shop open.
The item could have a good weight to it, or slow the player (travelspeed) down by quite a bit. So in this case, the journey to their preferred spot to place to set up their shop would be a consideration as wel. As it would take up quite some time and might entail that the player is not able to do much else but travel to their destination in 1 or more sessions.
other ways to put some severity to this concept are possible ofc.

Chimerical

Novice
I hadn't even thought about crafters actually building the carts. There would be a lot of possibilities for crafters. Wood workers obviously, but blacksmiths too for axles, pins etc.; leather workers for harnesses and such for beasts of burden; outfitters for canopies. I think if this type of endeavor was instituted you would find that sellers would quickly locate areas frequented by adventurers and a hybrid of the commons tunnel and merchant stalls would emerge.

Barin999

Journeyman
I think if this type of endeavor was instituted you would find that sellers would quickly locate areas frequented by adventurers and a hybrid of the commons tunnel and merchant stalls would emerge.
Which isn't a bad thing per se.
The aim would be to make it expensive enough (time, coin, resources) so not every player will line up at the tunnels to sell. Otherwise, the design has gone wrong and you risk losing population in your actual towns etc.
So from that perspective, it's intented to be more unique and rare. Instead of tunnels filled with players trying to sell goods, you'll have the odd traveling merchant-player or that very specific player selling specific items for a certain location where it's most needed but dangerous to hang around. If you catch my drift.

Chimerical

Novice
I'm not against it at all. I think it would add flavor to the game. You could either institute a merchant license, as another money sink, or take a commission from all sales, balancing it so that some would take on becoming a traveling merchant and others would stick with whatever base system they put in place. People will always sell from their inventory anyway, this would just be a way to boost inventory and another possible pathway for players to pursue.

Would the traveling merchant need to be a crafter, or could they just be a middle man, purchasing from crafters, etc. and reselling their wares for profit? In effect saving those adventurers that don't necessarily want to go to town a place to shop, and sell?

Barin999

Journeyman
Would the traveling merchant need to be a crafter, or could they just be a middle man, purchasing from crafters, etc. and reselling their wares for profit? In effect saving those adventurers that don't necessarily want to go to town a place to shop, and sell?
That could very well be the case, yes.