• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mapmaking as a craft

Bhusbandjr

Novice
Staff Writer
Thread starter #1
So I know in eq and other "old school" mmos maps are never really just given to you and finding details on remote zones was much harder than a main city. While thinking about how to allow mapped out zones( in a way that many 3rd party websites eventually do) to be part of the discovery of the game at launch. Even if you considered a wow style discover to clear the fog of war off your map that gave an incentive to check out all the nooks and crannys of zones(especially for the perfectionist that can't handle a corner of a map not filled in). All in all I really was imagining a system where a ranger for instance can spend his days in the wild making crude maps, then maps with more details yo eventually be able to make a bit of a living off his wilderness abilities(I always thought a ranger offered more than just selling sow to help fellow adventures). So however many classes can make the maps wether from a high intelligence and knowledge of the land that's passed down through books and stories, or maybe even higher or more accurately drawn from experience and actually scouting out whole zones. Once the map is made the system to transfer the knowledge to other players( so when you hit M now you have access to a map you bought) can either be crude and maybe based on skill you only receive half the map or even the materials slowly fade and last for one group session. On the other hand if it is a top tier cartography work you could sell it on more durable surfaces and the transcriptions will accurately transfer to your (use to be blank) in game map forever. In a group setting I was even imagining if a leader has a good map he/she can share to the rest of group while in proximity and as long as there still in the group. This defeats the need to go find the one man who refuses to ask for directions but keeps running into Dragon Laura!

Darkheart

Novice
Staff Writer
Bhusbandjr,

AWESOME MAN. This would be wonderful, you could be an explorer. How would you see this extending long term once everything has been discovered. Would it become a useless feature, like druids and wizards after PoP ?

Cromulent

Administrator
Staff member
I do like the idea of having a map making craft I just fear that third party websites will have fully illustrated maps within 6 months of launch that the crafting skill will be pointless. I think you'd need to incorporate something into the maps that third party maps couldn't easily replicate. Maybe something like basic information on mob spawns? I'm not talking about giving out precise information just a hint so that the maps made by crafters are still relevant even when you can download maps from a website somewhere.

Bhusbandjr

Novice
Staff Writer
Thread starter #4
I did not think about the speed of the 3rd party websites, but i think you are right somehow you would have to make the maps more beneficial maybe even if you can input specific data you encountered. For an end game approach i would try and incorporate it as more of a part of a larger trade skill, that way like ports when the time of dread comes at least you would have other means of making money from the skills you have acquired in the process of making better and better maps from your travels. So maybe map making would be a means to level skills needed so when you are in higher content and encounter old books or scrolls you have a skill to work at least with the materials to attempt to copy or transport the items. With the social aspect i could even see a bard for instance that travels to the far corners bringing back old tomes to trade or sell to wizards and magicians. of course we dont want all the wizard secrets for sale so many would have to be found by the player later on without any help from plat or gold coins. Each character would need to either purchase or craft maps upon rerolling or maybe even the prodigy system restarts, this would at least give a small amount of constant demand to have those tricky zone maps for sell( the confusing connecting zones that just make you want to run in circles checking out everything). i just think i may be getting close to selling the adventuring around lost aspect of mmos which can be alot of fun in its own way, and that is part of the game.

I have an idea that could make cartography viable that avoids the 3rd party problem. What if the crafter is able to imbue their maps with a particular color of mana such that the maps they produce can dynamically indicate the location of a mana climate of the imbued mana color on the map?

For example, let's say Cromulent finishes his exploration and is ready to sit down and craft his map. During his exploration of the area, he also had collected blue mana from the environment. After a successful craft, Cromulent makes "Map of the Tundra of Sorrows". He then imbues his map with the blue mana he collected, transforming the map into "Blue map of the Tundra of Sorrows". When viewing the map, he can see magical pulses of blue indicating that a local blue mana climate event is in that region.

The market then expands for maps, not to just people who want to see the zone they are in, but incorporating the needs of characters that require the knowledge of local mana climates. The dynamics of the climates will make the in-game colored maps more desirable than 3rd party website maps.

Cromulent

Administrator
Staff member
I have an idea that could make cartography viable that avoids the 3rd party problem. What if the crafter is able to imbue their maps with a particular color of mana such that the maps they produce can dynamically indicate the location of a mana climate of the imbued mana color on the map?

For example, let's say Cromulent finishes his exploration and is ready to sit down and craft his map. During his exploration of the area, he also had collected blue mana from the environment. After a successful craft, Cromulent makes "Map of the Tundra of Sorrows". He then imbues his map with the blue mana he collected, transforming the map into "Blue map of the Tundra of Sorrows". When viewing the map, he can see magical pulses of blue indicating that a local blue mana climate event is in that region.

The market then expands for maps, not to just people who want to see the zone they are in, but incorporating the needs of characters that require the knowledge of local mana climates. The dynamics of the climates will make the in-game colored maps more desirable than 3rd party website maps.
That sounds like a really interesting idea.

You could even expand the idea so that the Scribes who have high perception skill when exploring to make a map can add information about mobs to the map. For example they could say that certain mobs in the area likely to have a certain disposition so that people know ahead of time what they are going to be facing before they actually reach that area.

Also if the developers ever change the dispositions then a skilled mapmaker could keep ahead of the game and update their maps quickly and easily so that they are always sought after.

Nolvu

Apprentice
Tie the perception system into the Mapmaking, or even the Map-seeing. Have the map maker make maps in stages, gradually increasing their ability to scribe what observations and landmarks they have seen. Make the map maker learn to use different quills, inks, even different 'scrolls' to enhance that map of the particular area. Don't record the quest givers, animals, and bandits cause those things could easily 'walk out.' Now if the mapmaker is also a Keeper or the other side of the Perception system, perhaps let them imbue something on the map that only another person high in the perception would see as a point of interest. Not exactly what is there, but perhaps a hint that there is at least something worth investigating.

I honestly think if they tie in what their vision of the perception system is into all of the crafts we will find that crafting will be enhanced tenfold to what we currently are hoping they come out with.

Unfortunately, I feel there will always be someone who wants to be able to open a map and see where every exact detail and quest giver is. I personally don't like it myself but I don't think they'll go after anyone that gives all of the information out freely.