Delivery services

Barin999

Journeyman
How about a delivery system where one is able to retreive what ever they purchased locally or from areas far away from its current region.
For example someone in Thronefast is buying something in Wilds End, it takes 30 min's to "be delivered". A stablehouse or "postal service" is available where that person can interact with and accept its purchases.
When that same person is buying something from a player in Broken Maw, their purchase will take 1 hour for their package to arrive at the "postal service".

Buying locally will not have a fee or a very small one. With each distance increase the fees goes up with a reasonable amount. So if you're not willing to pay the fees, you'll have to travel closer or move to that very region.
If those fees are linked as a %'s of the actual item price, things get really interesting.
The idea is, to stimulate players moving from one region to another if they want specific items. (no one is restricting them to contact the seller and taking off the market on hold for that player.) Regional markets will offer local products and the term 'local' will actually mean something. As you will not as often see low price items from all over the world being sold in one location. Players from all levels will benefit from this, because being low level, you might not be able to travel as much, but your local market will be well supplied with local items that will things you'll need in this current environment.
Higher level players might have plenty of gear but are looking for those special things. They might have enough money to consider paying the increased fees and might choose to stay home. Others might venture over with plenty of community opportunities on the way.

It allows purchase all across Terminus, but it still keeps it locally as wel.

Delivery systems can be some kind of caravan system.. or just a mailbox poored into a nice suit of npc postmen. If you catch my drift. Give it some other flavour then just the mailbox if you're buying outside your region.

What do you say?

Last edited:

Chimerical

Novice
Actually this could be an interesting idea. It could factor into encumbrance avoidance. Find a deal on ore on another continent but it would take you 3 years to carry yourself, or require you to accelerate your quest to obtain a pack animal. Better to pay a fee and have it delivered. This might enable you to craft foreign recipes, you obtain, at home, but can't craft locally due to faction issues...

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not completely opposed to the concept, but I would want it to be balanced such that if someone has the time to travel themselves, they are always encouraged to do that instead of relying on the delivery system to get them the item.

There are three areas where sellers should ideally be able to compete in Pantheon: Price, selection, and location. If you allow buyers to see what everyone, everywhere is selling, selection becomes irrelevant. If you allow people to buy things remotely, then location becomes less relevant.

So, while I could see this being an option for low-value items listed on a commodities exchange of some type (like for example, wolf pelts), I would not want to see it be an option for durable goods that are sold by (hopefully) NPC vendors placed by players in the various marketplaces around the world. The buyer should need to visit that marketplace and interact with the NPC vendor in order to see the selection and make their purchase.

I am, of course, projecting what I want to see for buying/selling in Pantheon into this post. But I feel very strongly that if we want the economy to work and to support all the people who are going to be interested in crafting, we absolutely cannot make things too convenient for buyers. History suggests that in these games, supply will nearly always outstrip demand for most items on the market. If the only way sellers can compete with each other is via their price point, everyone loses in that situation.

Chimerical

Novice
I think of it more as you travel to a store, find an item you want and have it delivered, as opposed to shopping on Amazon and having it delivered. You must still make the trek to find what you want. No setting up recurring deliveries.

Barin999

Journeyman
I would want it to be balanced such that if someone has the time to travel themselves, they are always encouraged to do that instead of relying on the delivery system to get them the item.

If you allow buyers to see what everyone, everywhere is selling, selection becomes irrelevant. If you allow people to buy things remotely, then location becomes less relevant.

So, while I could see this being an option for low-value items listed on a commodities exchange of some type (like for example, wolf pelts), I would not want to see it be an option for durable goods that are sold by (hopefully) NPC vendors placed by players in the various marketplaces around the world. The buyer should need to visit that marketplace and interact with the NPC vendor in order to see the selection and make their purchase.

we absolutely cannot make things too convenient for buyers.
I'll try to explain a bit. This is indeed set in the scenario where players can purchase from an broker system, where one can buy something that is not directly on the npc. Personally, I'm not a fan of npc's doing the selling for you. A broker would facilitate the general market design.

0 Brokers's knowledge of goods being sold by players might be restricted to designated regions, which is fine.

1 The most wanted scenario would be that players buy and sell directly to players. I'm all for that, as you might pick up on other threads.

2 I'm talking about a player buying an item from another player in a regional or global broker system.

3 The package itself is not actual on travel (unless caravans are a thing, but that's a different topic).

4 The delivery-system is a design to replace the more commonly used mailbox or ingame mail system that allows items being sent via mail. In other words; let's imagine it being: "an actual delivery organisation".

5 Instead of a mailbox, you'ld have a residence/npc fashioned that will provide you with the package. In a way it's a more elaborate flavour of the ingame mailing system. However, you could actually make it so, that even messages could be received and sent here (like the real life postal service).

6 The requirements or the costs of the delivery system could be as severe to the player that it will expensive. For example: it could take up the same amount of time it would require the player to travel the to the seller and get it straight forward. Or it could be less time consuming, but just be quite a bit more expensive (taxation etc). Another way to put some pressure on the buyer is to put temporary restrictions to the services. So that you can't buy all things all the time. You might need to wait X -time until you can purchase something again. Or ones delivered, you'll need to wait the same amount of travel time for that "fictional" delivery guy to return home, before you can rely on the delivery system again. ...

Barin999

Journeyman
I think of it more as you travel to a store, find an item you want and have it delivered, as opposed to shopping on Amazon and having it delivered. You must still make the trek to find what you want. No setting up recurring deliveries.
Hmm, good one there @Chimerical !
If weight is an issue in the game, it might actually be a very useful feature to have things sent to your preferred destination. Combine this with possibly a lootloss when you die, then it really becomes valuable. (I'm not going to get into corpseruns)
A very entertaining take on the suggestion there.
Players will want travel to see what's being sold and after purchase indeed sent it to their own bank or hometowns etc.

Chimerical

Novice
Unless something changes I believe the intent is go have regional economies, not global. You might be able to see other wares within a single continent and purchase without traveling to the stall of the vendor (maybe not) but another continent would require you to travel there. Also I was always a fan of dumpster diving. Nothing like finding a treasure among the garbage! Imagine buying items and having them shipped to your home area to work on. Or, deciding you want to ship some of your products to a foreign land so that you can set up your goods there. This system could tie into your real estate ideas. Unless you become mega rich you would have one home area. Perhaps ship there as regional banks would be small and fill up?

Sure would be nice to have a VR divulge a few more facts on what they intend. I wouldn't mind honing planned systems as opposed to all this theory crafting...