Crafter's Roundtable: What part of crafting would you be willing to sacrifice?

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
There's a truth to game development: Even though you can come up with amazing designs and cool ideas, it still takes a skilled programmer precious time to implement those things into the game and make them work. This is true whether we're talking about adventuring or crafting.

So, for today's roundtable: What part of crafting would you be willing to sacrifice or skimp on in order to see Pantheon launch more quickly? Even if that meant that the crafting sphere wasn't as robust in that area as you would like.

It's a hard question. Let us know what your answer would be.

Barin999

Journeyman
For sake of launching quicker? Nothing. Take your time and deliver the game as and when you sit fit.

I find it difficult to accept a rushed design especially when we're still in the timeline of a game in full (re)design. So everything should still be optional or tested before canceling it.

At this stage, we're just guessing ofc, since VR hasn't directly mentioned many features that relate to crafting.
The chosen style of VR, will impact what can be expected of the actual crafting design. Since some features might just not fit into this game's style. (fantasy, realistic, community oriented, old school, challenging, PVE oriented)
That said, for me that would mean that some features are not required to be there at launch, but might be in the pipeline for expansions in the future.

- I might be ok with a detailed ui of the recipes/-book not being in the game and a basic ui being used (temporarily?).

- Crafting writs, especially repeatable ones, can be skipped for me. Wouldn't miss them if they weren't there at the start. But I would go into them if they were added later on.
- The location of workstations or tradeskill npc's might be standardized, instead of being spread out in Terminus, in distant dangerous places etc. It would ofc be a shame, to skip on that because it's all depth and content for crafters in the game. But somehow I'd get it at launch if that wasn't in place. So you'd have the usual npc in town selling all the recipes.
- A crafter-raid and group crafting can be sacrificed at first, but might be a good addition later on in time.
- Caravan systems can be skipped on.
- Auction houses, broker systems can be skipped on at launch (but would be one of the first things added on later).
I have played crafting games, where there was no such thing, and people really went looking for each other and used chat to buy/sell things. So one would find a way and you learn a lot about the world and have unique community moments.
- No need for signature quests or epic tradeskill content at launch.

Things not to rush or skip:
* Graphics and graphical performance during crafting or harvesting (motion by tools, surrounding elements, character, recipe book, npc's).
* Different crafting stations for each class.
* A fully designed recipe book.
* Music or other sound elements tied to crafting, harvesting, player, tools, surroundings or work stations.
* Mini game linked to different crafting classes. (There is too much available to justify skipping this feature).
*Questlines or content for crafters.

Last edited:

Celandor

Novice
I realize this is an older thread, so I don't know if I'm guilty of necroing or just kicking a slightly smelly corpse. I also can't separate harvesting and crafting in my mind as I see these systems as inextricable from each other. Beyond theory-crafting, I don't think we have a lot of solid information to base a discussion around. Like everyone else in the Pantheon community, we're analyzing every pixel of information, but largely without clarity of what the larger picture looks like.

Crafting needs to be a REQUIREMENT for adventurers to succeed in boss encounters as they progress through levels of content. Don't make a system where the presence of crafters in-game is optional. If you want the best sword, bring N rare items to the best weaponsmith you can find on the server and get them to make you a blade worthy of the next tier of play.

So what I'd be willing to give up at launch would be fancy visual aspects like animations, emotes, visual crafting equipment and other aspects like we had in Vanguard. I'd eventually like to see those, but they aren't critical to the role of the crafter in the overall scheme of the game. I realize that's directly in opposition to what Barin posted. I would almost reverse his list of what needs to be in (other than caravans and auction houses). I could care less if crafting has its own music. I'd be quite content to just hum a little tune if I knew my efforts were critical to the success of our raiders.

I'd also be willing to give up something like group harvesting in the sense of multiple people in the group simultaneously harvesting a node. Harvesting nodes of rare or higher tier materials should still require that you join a group in order to be able to get access to the areas where these exist. As a guild, I'd find it very satisfying to have group or even raid activities where the primary focus was to get components for our craftspeople or to perhaps get our smith to the no-fail-forge buried in the deepest recesses of some very scary place.

I don't see group crafting as being a thing, beyond just traditional interdependency on other crafters for key materials. I'm hoping that my crafting efforts (actual time at a workstation) can be during off-hours when I'm not actively adventuring in a group/raid. I certainly wouldn't want to see some other aspect of the overall crafting system sacrificed to see group crafting.

I would give up a graphically sexy recipe book in favour of more recipes.

I do think there needs to be some sort of questline for advancing crafting and not just make NNN items for skill-ups. I'd prefer to see actual quests where you had to make increasingly difficult items to advance as opposed to a daily writ where I have to make yet another wagon wheel. So I'd sacrifice writs entirely if there were actual quests. The quests don't need to be great in number, but they should represent significant difficulty and give proportional experience.

Last edited: