Crafter's Roundtable: Re-forging or Re-crafting

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
This week's roundtable: How do you feel about a system or recipes that allow crafters to take older items or damaged/broken items and "re-forge" them into something new and more powerful? Should this sort of thing be only for some items or quests, or should it be relatively common? How should it work?

Let us know your thoughts!

I've always liked this idea, but it would be tricky to implement and manage from a development standpoint. I think commonly dropped and easily crafted items should be ingredients in other recipes. I don't think it should just be for rare items or quests. For example, one or more Steel Swords would be needed to make an improved Crafted Steel Sword.

The benefit here is that new players and veteran alts have a market for all the Steel Swords or Animal Pelts they get while adventuring. The downside is this also creates an incentive for high level characters to 'farm' lower level spawn camps. So, you need two rules to prevent the farming and keep the core mechanic. First, under level mobs should not drop non-quest items when killed by high level characters. Second, NPC vendors should sell most of the commonly dropped items at extremely inflated prices. The first rule prevents the farming. The second rule maintains a preference for dropped items while making them available to crafters in the event the new player population declines.

Finally, I would make these crafting chains long. Each crafted or re-forged version of an item would be an ingredient in the next version. So if you wanted to make the Ultimate Epic Sword of Badassery, the first ingredient in the chain would be a Steel Sword.

Khaleesi

Apprentice
Staff member
Staff Writer
... this also creates an incentive for high level characters to 'farm' lower level spawn camps. So, you need two rules to prevent the farming and keep the core mechanic. First, under level mobs should not drop non-quest items when killed by high level characters. Second, NPC vendors should sell most of the commonly dropped items at extremely inflated prices. The first rule prevents the farming. The second rule maintains a preference for dropped items while making them available to crafters in the event the new player population declines.
Interesting concept here @Bitter_Clinger. I appreciate the way this supports new players in viable loot for appropriate amounts of in game fundage.

I think that the scavenging concept will have lots of potential for upgrades - if it's implemented. It would be great to be able to break a specific enchantment or slot from a piece of equipment for re-use / re-crafting. That would support both a desire for that item and would turn around the server-wide availability for the item, making new drops all the more valuable.

Regarding items breaking - the same argument has been made that if items wear out over time, there will be a need for crafters to fix them. I agree that it would be a great support of the crafting community. But do worry that the adventurer that doesn't really want to even acknowledge the crafting system exists would get irritated at the forced interaction with crafting or the need to pick up a tradeskill themselves.

ps - I want the Ultimate Epic Sword of Badassery! But I'm planning to take up outfitting - can you make me one plz? Maybe you'd consider a trade for an Ultimate Epic Backpack of Assbaddery! (it's a fanny pack ;oP )

Regarding items breaking - the same argument has been made that if items wear out over time, there will be a need for crafters to fix them. I agree that it would be a great support of the crafting community. But do worry that the adventurer that doesn't really want to even acknowledge the crafting system exists would get irritated at the forced interaction with crafting or the need to pick up a tradeskill themselves.
I think you would use the same basic crafting mechanic in the repair system, using items of the same quality (level) and type to repair damaged items. So to repair your Ultimate Epic Sword of Badassery, you would need one or more Ultimate Epic Swords or Crafted Ultimate Epic Swords. You could farm the Ultimate Epic Swords or create/purchase the Crafted version. Finally, you could use a crafting skill to repair your sword, pay a crafter to repair your sword, or pay an NPC an inflated price to repair your sword.

By the way, just have your Ogre send some Swill my way, and the sword is yours!

Cromulent

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of crafters upgrading or repairing other items because it gives players a chance to add features to an item that they already have. That might be adding a proc to an item or some extra stats that the items don't come with by default, but if the player wants to add a magical ability to the item for instance, then the crafter will also have to be able to wield magic while adventuring. That way magical items would be special. On the other hand, players who are not magic wielders should be able to make stronger basic handheld or ranged weapons like swords or bows. They are not magical, but they make up for that with being more durable and maybe doing more base damage. That way crafters no matter if they are magic classes or melee classes, will still have a role to play depending on what players want out of their crafted items.

Barin999

Journeyman
A forged item and a crafted item are/should be per definition player made items. Repairing items is a completely different topic, so I won't go into that right now.

When a player aims to reforge or re-craft(??) an item, it makes sense that they either need to be a crafter with that skill or know a crafter that can do the trick for them.

To allow an end game adventurer with 0 skills in tradeskill to re-forge or re-craft themselves, feels a lot like bypassing the crafter(grind) and just working with looted gear and going from there. It takes little effort to imagine crafters becoming redundant if this should be implemented in the game. At least for this portion of the crafting aspects.

If/when salvaging is implemented in the game, it could allow any player to retrieve resources from items be that player made or looted. But to use those retrieved resources, I find, still requires a crafter of some skill. This requirement tied to the tier of that item/ resource. It means that the crafter will have to be of the same level/skill range in order to use those resources.

Re-forging is a nice thing, but it has a high potential of making crafted gear worthless. It is a very difficult balancing act. Re-forging can be used to upgrade gear within a certain tier. To allow for chain upgrades likes Bitter_Clinger suggest, although it's a nice concept, could endanger the value of new gear or other items all together. Even content could be at risk, if it doesn't have anything to upgrade that miracle sword/shield.

The combination of crafted/looted gear with salvaging and experimenting already is a nice combination that allows for a large range of statistical diversity. If you want to add another layer to this concept by means of re-forging, I would suggest allow it for items that CANNOT be repaired. So you can re-forge the heck out of it, but at 0/100 durability it will be broke and only render some coin for it. This enables players to experience rare loot, fiddle around with the stats to their liking, and still hold that back up sword and shield in their bags. Items that required a lot of time and effort to provide those desired stats.

It's a case of give and take here. You don't want to give it all away. You can re-forge a 'unique' item, but in the end it will break down. You can fine tune and experiment and theirby upgrade your crafted/other looted gear, you can even repair it. But ones it's made you can not reforge the stats. (Unless you choose to salvage it again and rebuild it from start).
Re-forging is a quick fix. This game isn't about that, so put in a downside to this 'quick fix'.

Side note: I played a game where you could re-forge an item a lot, but reforging it too much would break the item. So it included a limited re-forge option.

Last edited: