Crafter's Dungeons

Autherial

Apprentice
Staff member
Staff Writer
I had an idea, I wanted to share and get discussion on. In an effort to appeal to crafters and make crafting in game more fun and rewarding. I thought about crafters group content. Suppose your crafters guild or group need special materials for legendary crafting. Your guildmates or group has to delve into a dungeon to recover the materials. This dungeon would be designed specifically for crafters. You could even design puzzles and obstacles that would require different tradesman to solve through their various unique abilities. Once the materials have been obtained you all finish the dungeon and head back to town, but the adventure doesn't end there. You all must craft together at a special crafting bench, working on the piece together solving the mini games etc until completion.

Let me build a scenario. our group of 3 or 4 etc, need to craft a set of legendary swords that require special ore along with unique oils and spider thread. We head to the crafters corner to have some mead and to inquire about the materials we need. A dwarf prospector over hears our conversation and tells us of this mysterious ore they encountered in this mine while gathering ore for the local blacksmiths. He tells that when they left the mine the opening mysteriously closes and they couldn't find their way back in. He then gives us a map and a quest to seek out this mine. Here the perception system can come into play.

Now we set off on our journey, a warrior blacksmith, a rogue jeweler, a cleric Alchemist and a summoner scribe. Due to the rogues natural abilities he is our perception expert. We follow the map and find a dead end, nothing but mountain side. The rogue searches the rock and gets a clue per the perception ability, according to the clue our jeweler deduces that using his jeweler pic and hitting the rock reveals a hollow section, he searches and finds a place that requires a base jewel, so he puts the base jewel in the hole and the opening reveals itself. As our crafters enter the dungeon they find many creatures including the spiders that provide them with the special silk they need. They come upon this door that is sealed, they look for clues on how to unlock it. They find a dwarf blacksmiths journal that describes how he made the door and how to unlock it, so our warrior blacksmith uses a tool with one of his abilities and the door unlocks. In the next room they find the ore that they needed and now they look for a way out of the mine. They stumble upon a great hall with steps leading to outside, they can see the daylight shine down on the steps. Relieved, they approach to hear an awful noise, a giant spider blocks their way! This spider seems invulnerable to their weapons. The Alchemist reminds them of the special oil she made and gave each of them to coat their weapons, they apply the oil and fell the fowl spider. They collect their bounty and escape the mine.

After several rounds of ale, they head off to the workbench to create the legendary swords, this requires all of them working simultaneously to create the swords, finally the job is finished and they marvel at their achievement. This is more or less what I had in mind, what are your thoughts?

kazyovka

Novice
I love it! I’m less into RP, but I imagine similar scenarios from a mechanical perspective.

1. A raid encounter where the reward is access to a certain powerful crafting bench. Infinite waves of progressively more power enemies zerg the raid as they try to defend their master crafter while he/she works on a piece. (Imagine breaking into the personal workshop of the Fire God and stealing time on his forge!). To add to the fun, crafting ought to require making a series of tricky judgment calls, so skilled crafters can go faster and do more with the time their raid can buy them.

2. Raid encounters that yield powerful itemized crafting options and special, rare crafting bases rather than equippable items.

3. Similar to the alchemist’s spider oil, raid encounters that are significantly easier with specialized gear which is crafted. Not sure but I don’t think it should usually be a hard requirement.

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
Try this on for size. It's similar to something I've used before, although not in this same context.

The seas of Terminus can be a very dangerous place, beset by unpredictable storms and currents, and populated by terrifying creatures. Most ships crossing between continents try to hug the coastlines as much as possible, only crossing the open ocean at the calmest (and most well-traveled) places. While this can make for relatively safe travel, it also means that it takes a long time to cross the oceans.

However, some captains are daring (or perhaps crazy) enough to attempt a direct crossing. A few even claim to have succeeded in the past. One such captain is recently returned to port, and he claims to have found a hidden island, with a lost temple of some sort upon it. Now, he is hiring adventurers for an expedition to visit this island and recover whatever treasures might lie within the ancient temple.

While the good captain's ship might once have been a sturdy vessel - time has not been kind. The sails are ragged, the rigging frayed, and the planks of the hull have spiderwebs of tiny cracks. Nothing a skilled crew can't handle, of course - except for some reason, most of the crew seems to have opted not to embark on this particular journey.

Still, the captain will not be deterred! After all, he has a company of fine adventurers onboard! Surely there are some craftsmen among them who can patch the hull if the ship starts taking on water after being rammed by a giant sea creature, or mend the sails as they're battered by hurricane winds. Why they might even be able to get the ship's ballista working properly to help fend off the aforementioned sea creature! And perhaps someone can make use of the provisions in the galley to help keep the crew from mutinying after the cook quit at the last port.

Of course, the adventure isn't over when the voyage is done. After all, what's an ancient temple on a lost island without all manner of devious traps, collapsed passages, broken bridges, and of course, complex stone puzzles that are missing essential pieces?

This is how I view the interaction between crafting and adventuring It can be scripted or unscripted, but it should be everywhere, in every aspect of Terminus - or at least as much as can be made to make sense.

Mayeia

Novice
I like the idea... but I would make the crafting of the item may be a timed thing between everyone at the end. If you make it simultaneously, and someone LD's, you're all screwed. Say... each crafting class makes his or her part no more than 10 minutes from the other classes. Maybe they have to do it in a certain order.
1- The blacksmith first to shape the ore and turn to a useable bit of metal
2- The leatherworker (or similar class) to make a hilt for it.
3- An Alchemist to pour a sealant and protectant onto the weapon's surface
4- The jeweler makes an augment to give the sword its' stats...

etc etc with the different crafting classes

Autherial

Apprentice
Staff member
Staff Writer
I like the idea... but I would make the crafting of the item may be a timed thing between everyone at the end. If you make it simultaneously, and someone LD's, you're all screwed. Say... each crafting class makes his or her part no more than 10 minutes from the other classes. Maybe they have to do it in a certain order.
1- The blacksmith first to shape the ore and turn to a useable bit of metal
2- The leatherworker (or similar class) to make a hilt for it.
3- An Alchemist to pour a sealant and protectant onto the weapon's surface
4- The jeweler makes an augment to give the sword its' stats...

etc etc with the different crafting classes
I like that idea