Are repeatable harvesting quests acceptable?

At the edge of a town lives a lumberjack (or other craftsman).
Players can interact with the lumberjack to discover that, he can't keep up with the demand of the town or nearby city.
The players are asked to chop down wood and bring them back to him.

The reward could be, small coin or better faction with townfolk or regional institutions.

Would you like to see this kind of quest in the game?
It would be repeatable without limitations or up to a certain amount of repetitions.

This kind of questlines could be a key to unlock good relations with the townfolk or other questlines. Or just leave it at that certain quest and you're from then on permitted to use his workstation for woodworking.

I expect it to be in the game and I wouldn't mind the repetition.
Yes, it has a trademill-vibe to it, but if they can write a nice story around it. Different races/players could have a different experience when they encounter this lumberjack.

What's your opinion?

Nephele

Administrator
Staff member
Rather than always being asked to go out and get lumber (for example), I would prefer to see a system of NPC-generated tasks that span the entire spectrum of crafting and harvesting and that have a visible impact on the area.

What I mean by this is that there's always work that needs doing in the village.
Sometimes that's helping to repair the roof of the old barn.
Sometimes that's helping to gather crops from the fields.
Sometimes that's finding the chickens that escaped from the coop last night.
Sometimes that's chasing down the fox that was hunting the chickens.
Sometimes that's hunting and skinning dear for meat and hides.
Sometimes that's gathering wood to repair the house damaged in the storm.

But, it's not always the same thing. If someone goes out and gathers wood to repair the house, it doesn't magically need more wood 5 minutes later. Though maybe more nails are needed. You should never be able to get the same task over and over and yes, that means that sometimes the task you can pick up isn't one you are able or willing to do.

The idea is also that as players complete tasks they should see the effects of those on the village around them. The house doesn't look quite so bedraggled anymore. The field looks freshly harvested. The tanning racks in the village square are filled up with the hides. Over time, the houses get damaged again, the leather gets used up, and the field grows back. But that's over time. This is important because it gives players a sense that their actions in the world really are making a difference in some way - that turns it from being about coin/faction/whatever, to being about something that actually matters in the context of the world itself.

Third and finally, there will come a point where all the tasks that the village could possibly need done have been taken care of by passing helpful adventurers. There simply isn't any more work right now. But that doesn't mean that the village down the road doesn't need help. Or that the king's guards in the fort over in the hills couldn't use a hand. The point of this is that tasks should not be infinitely repeatable - and no I'm not talking about turning them into dailies or weeklies - but instead, as an adventurer looking for work, you might remain in an area for a day or two, helping out - and then when the work dries up, you move on. A few months later if you came back, there might be more work for you. But in the meantime you're traveling, seeing the world, having adventures....even if it's just as a lumberjack-for-hire.

What if a dwarf is able to pick up one quest from that lumberjack, but an ogre can pick up more quests?
Or dwarves are given mining tasks and elves are given harvesting tasks (herbs, berries).
So instead of the two ways to raise faction or follow a storyline: crafting or killing, it gives more paths of what's be asked to the player. So one player might reach the lumberjack and is asked to clear out nests of insects, another to provide him with coal, another to chop wood or another to resolve an issue for that lumberjack.
The difference here, there would be no option to do all these quests as one player. Because it's scripted so that player X (elf/blacksmith/healer/other requirement) gets these quests.

An objection here would be, that it puts players into boxes, I guess.

The returning content has indeed been suggested multiple times. Perhaps NPC-trade caravans, might provide more content as they reach a town or have been struggling with something on route.

I do like your suggestion for players to look for job opportunities. That could be a path on its own. To be a hireling and build up content for exploration or good standings in the "hireling-community". This in fact could be a sneaky way in as an evil race into a good race-city. If you see what I mean.